Less aggressive chainline vs. a 12-speed system. Be prepared for less system wear and tear.
All those clicks add up. Spend less time shifting and more time riding
Fewer cogs on the cassette reduce system weight.
- Fewer gears mean larger teeth to index
- Larger indexing teeth equal less wear and tear
- Less shifting extends shifter life
- Fewer gears mean less derailleur travel and better chainline
- Less travel and better chainline equal less wear and tear
- Less shifting extends derailleur life
- Fewer gears mean wider spacing and easier set-up
- Combined with better chainline equal less wear and tear
- 9 cogs weigh less than 12
Unique geometry allows for thicker side plates than 12 speed drivetrains
- Internal dimensions that are compatible with modern wide / narrow chainrings
- Resists stretching over time increasing shifting performance
+ IS PRIME 9 BETTER?
+ IS PRIME 9 MORE ENJOYABLE THAN 12 SPEED?
• More time on the bike; less time in the shop.
• Fewer shifts to get to the best available gear.
+ DOES THE PRIME 9 PERFORM BETTER THAN A TRADITIONAL 9 SPEED?
• Prime 9 uses a proven 9-speed drivetrain platform but integrates modern technology.
◦ 1x instead of 3x
◦ Limited Slip Clutch™
◦ Compatible with modern Wide / Narrow chainrings
◦ Added range without adding gears
◦ Consistent gear jumps
◦ Optimized shift up and shift down ramps
+ IS PRIME 9 MORE DURABLE?
• Straighter Chain-line
◦ Prime 9 drivetrains significantly reduce the chain angle in the lowest gears when compared to 12 speed. This allows the chain to run straighter across all gears, increasing the life of the chain and cassette.
• Unique 9 Speed Chain
◦ Prime 9 chains have internal dimensions that are compatible with modern Wide / Narrow chainrings and similar chain retention to 11 / 12-speed chains. Externally, Prime 9 chains have dimensions similar to existing 9-speed chains. This unique geometry allows for thicker side plates than 12-speed drivetrains which resists stretching over time, increasing shifting performance while decreasing wear on the cassette and chainring.
• Single Shift Option (E-MTB)
◦ E-MTB drivetrains can fail when shifts across multiple gears occur under load. These failures are eliminated by restricting the shifting action to one shift at a time. This also increases the life of the drivetrain overall.
• Fewer Gears (fewer shifts)
◦ Fewer gears mean fewer shifts to get to the gears you’d like to be in. This decreases the number of shifts per ride and increases the life of the shifter and cassette.
• Full Steel Cassette (all tiers)
◦ Prime 9 Cassettes offer full steel construction at all levels. This significantly increases the durability of the cassette. No more issues with your climbing gears wearing before the others!
+ IS PRIME 9 SIMPLER?
• Same Range With Fewer Gears
◦ 11-50 tooth cassette with only 9 gears.
• Ease of Set-up
◦ A 9-speed drivetrain has a larger adjustment window than a 12 speed. This makes Prime 9 easier to set-up, more likely to stay in adjustment and less finicky over time.
• Wide Compatibility
◦ No proprietary freehub body, no proprietary chainring, and fewer issues with chainline make Prime 9 a perfect fit on any bike!
◦ Works with any 10,11, or 12-speed Shimano®, SRAM® or 3rd party wide / narrow chain ring (you must use a Prime 9 chain).
• Less Maintenance
◦ More durable and easier to set up when compared to 12-speed drivetrains. Prime 9 provides more time in between recommended service intervals so you can spend more time riding!
• Don’t Worry, All Bike Shops Are Familiar With 9 Speed Platforms!
◦ 3 x 9 drivetrains have been around for 2 decades making a Prime 9 familiar to any bike shop or mechanic for easy conversions, setups, and adjustments!
+ DOES PRIME 9 PERFORM BETTER?
• Shifting Less Means Faster Riding
◦ Less shifts to get to the best available gear when compared to 12 speed. More time pedaling means faster runs and more King of the Mountain titles (KOMS)!
• Optimized Shift Ramps
◦ Wide range cassettes with fewer gears mean larger gear jumps. Our shift ramps are optimized specifically for these gear combinations creating consistent, solid shifts every time.
• Limited Slip Clutch™ Means Better Chain Retention
◦ Instant engaging, constant torque, fully serviceable* and a fully adjustable* clutch means less chain slap, better chain engagement, and no dropped chains. (*available only on box one / two tiers)
• Consistent Gear Jumps
◦ Prime 9 cassettes feature consistent gear spacing which provides even cadence across the cassette’s range.
• Lightweight Cassette
◦ Fewer cogs compared to 12-speed make for a lighter cassette* and better performance in all scenarios. (*Box One Prime 9 compared to other 12 Speed cassettes).
WHAT'S THE CATCH?
+ ISN'T 9 SPEED OLD?
9 speed has deep roots in cycling and has been around in various configurations dating back to the late ’90s, however, these configurations were almost always “3x” drivetrains consisting of a front derailleur with 3 gears and a non-clutch rear derailleur with a small range, 11-34 cassette. Prime 9 is unique in that it combines much of the durability and reliability of the traditional 3 x 9-speed drivetrains with the simplicity of modern 1x drivetrains. This creates a bomb-proof drivetrain that is easy to set up and has a simple user experience.
Prime 9 chains have internal dimensions that are compatible with modern Wide / Narrow chainrings and perform similarly to 11 / 12-speed chains.. Externally, Prime 9 chains have dimensions similar to existing 9-speed chains. This unique geometry allows for thicker side plates than 12-speed drivetrains which resists stretching over time increasing shifting performance while decreasing wear on the cassette and chainring.
More does not always mean better, and we believe that 9 is Fine!
+ IS SUCH A LARGE RANGE WITH FEW GEARS BAD?
An 11 to 50 tooth range is a large spread to cover over 9 gears, but we have tuned the gear ratios to have consistent cadence throughout the cassette range. This along with our optimized shift ramps makes for a smooth experience for any rider.
+ IS USING A HEAVIER CHAIN BAD?
9-speed chains have been used on drivetrains for decades. To this day they are commonly seen on some of the most torturous bike styles such as touring bikes, meant to last 1000s of miles under extreme conditions. This long-standing reputation for durability easily trumps the potential savings of a few grams, especially on arguably the most important part of the drivetrain.
Note: Other 9 speed chains are compatible with the Prime 9 derailleurs and cassettes but may increase the possibility for dropped chains, we recommend using a Box Prime 9 Chain for optimal performance!
+ WHY 11 TOOTH HIGH GEAR VS. 10T?
There are a number of benefits of an 11 tooth cassette design when compared to a 10 tooth. Prime 9 utilizes the 11 tooth design for two main reasons; Having more teeth allows for a more evenly distributed load from pedaling torque, increasing both cassette and chain life. Additionally, choosing an 11 tooth design allows Prime 9 Cassettes to be compatible with the most popular freehub body in the industry. For ebikes and their extra torque we employ a 12 tooth high gear.
+ PLEASE LET US KNOW?
If you have any questions that we haven’t addressed please let us know!